- Library -- we go nearly everyday to our local branch
- Small grocery store -- something with more than junk food in it so I can pick up a few items
- Ice cream shop
- Card shop with small gifts
- Schools -- growing up in Paramus I didn't realize the luxury of walking to the middle and high school, especially with after school activities
- Park -- for Ashley to play in, for running, cycling
- Entertainment -- community theater, art gallery
- Locally owned restaurants that are reasonably priced
The ideal probably does not exist. Princeton is pretty close to perfect -- the high taxes, though, dampen its perfection.
Newtown, PA also has a lot to offer, but the high school is not near any homes.
Wish Media, PA had the high school closer to the middle school as their Main Street has a nice combination of businesses and services.
Of course as a Disney fan, the term "Main Street" makes me think of Disneyland. Main Street, USA has a town hall, opera house, bakery, restaurants, shops, mailboxes, and Ragtime Robert at Coke Corner. No schools, though, which probably adds to its feeling of perfection in the eyes of children.