Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Historic Whitesbog

Whitesbog is an old cranberry swamp located near Fort Dix. Though located only an hour from home, it felt like we stepped back into time.  It didn't help that the place felt like a ghost town, or that Ashley and I did not really have enough time to explore the place.

Had we come a couple of days earlier, we would have been there for the blueberry festival and had people there able to tell us more about the cranberry industry and about the amazing wildlife in the area.


On a day without a festival, Whitesbog recommends a driving tour of the area along a one way circular route around the cranberry bogs. It is on a sandy bump between two bodies of water. I wish I had gotten out of the car to take a picture of the route. Fortunately I took Don's CRV that day since we were meeting up with him and his bicycle after our day of sightseeing.

We saw beautiful birds, including thsi one that is cranberry colored. I wish I knew my birds better so I could tell you what he is.

Given our time constraints (more about that in the Smithville Mansion story), we made a u-turn and returned to civilization. I would love to return sometime with someone who could tell me more about what I was seeing, or on a day when we had hours free to walk around and enjoy nature. This wasn't the day.


http://www.whitesbog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment