Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2024

Back to Couch to 5K

On Monday after seven months of trying to figure out what was wrong with my foot I was cleared to slowly return to running.

In February I wrote about my foot pain. I cut my 10,000 steps a day goal down to 3,000 steps a day and tried to keep off of it.

In March I took pain killers and hobbled my way through Havana.

In April while walking with a friend she noticed my limp (the one I thought was *much* better) and told me to see her foot doctor. Having already been to Don's foot doctor, I was reluctant until Ellen told me her doctor has an X-ray machine. 

Suffering from a classic case of what-I-don't-know-won't-hurt-me or plain old fear-of-the-unknown I did not fill the first doctor's prescription to get an X-ray. Getting one meant waiting for an answer, and possibly having to wear a boot for six to eight weeks. 

Meanwhile, though, my foot was not getting any better.

I called Ellen's person, Dr. Magodia, and made an appointment for the next day. 

I immediately liked her. She spent 30 minutes with me and asked all the questions the first foot doctor did not ask. She seemed genuinely interested in making sure I got back on both feet. After asking questions, such as "did you wear flats on vacation?" she diagnosed me with Achilles tendonitis and prescribed both an anti-inflammatory medicine and physical therapy.

I called the therapist she recommended. Unfortunately they did not have an opening until the following week, and even more unfortunately they do not accept my insurance. Meanwhile, I filled the prescription and felt better 15 minutes after taking it.

Physical therapy at Atlantic Physical Therapy Care was completely worth the out of pocket expense. My first visit was with Sandy, who was visiting from another office. She is my age. Just like I did with Dr. Magodia, I felt seen and understood. She told me want I was doing wrong, and how to fix it without causing new problems. She taped up my foot. Best of all, she said that because the anti-inflammatory worked so well it meant there was swelling and that it was not torn.

Sandy showed me some exercises and sent me home. 

I came back a week later and met Deepa. Deepa was pleased with my progress. She taped me again (starting to feel like a real athlete) and showed me more exercises so I can start running again.

One more visit to Dr. Magodia, who was also thrilled with my progress, and I received the all-clear to run.

But, would I enjoy it?

I'm taking it slowly -- I decided to start at the beginning of Couch to 5K, which means 60 seconds of running followed by 90 seconds of walking, and repeat. Three times out and I'm finding I am smiling while I run and that I look forward to getting out there again.

In a moment of optimism I signed up for the Spring Lake 5 miler. Looks like I'll be in good shape to at least walk it without pain, and probably also run some of it.

Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment