Pages

Sunday, July 16, 2023

The Stranger Project

While in New York City last week Don and I stumbled upon the clear glass storefront from where The Strangers Project located within the World Trade Center complex. On that midday Saturday, the location was closed, but as you can see in the picture, the front window is covered with stories, all on 8 1/2 x 11" white paper with words and drawings in black ink. Peeking through the clear door, you can see seemingly hundreds of similar pages. Strangers stopped to read the words visible.

The website has a quick facts section that sums up the project better than I can do: 

  • Every story is collected in person—
  • Stories are not mailed in or submitted online

    65,000+ Stories collected so far

  • The Strangers Project is based in NYC, but I also take the Strangers Project to as many cities as I can

    Stories are shared from all ages and all walks of life

    To sum up: over 65,000 people paused what they were doing on a random day to write something on a piece of paper and hand it to the stranger to do with as they pleased. When you think about it, that takes a lot of courage.

    Glancing at the ones in the window, and on their website, they vary from optimistic and cheerful to cries for help. From humorous to extremely serious.

    Many had line art sketches on them. It reminded me of Don's mom. Personally, I never think to include artwork when I journal (other than photographs when I journal online), but she would. Perhaps I should consider doing so.


    My favorite was one written along the long side of the page saying (summarizing here as I didn't take notes): I wonder how they will hang this paper? It was hung as the others along the short side (i.e., portrait vs. landscape style).

    What an amazing project -- encouraging people to share, or as they say on the flyer on their door, "What is it like being you?"

    What would I say if I was asked on a random day? Would I share my plans for the day? Would I share something that is eating at my soul? Would I keep it light out of fear of sharing too much with strangers, or share what I wouldn't tell my closest friends because it is anonymous?

    What would you share?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment