Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Uncertainty

College was easy.

Graduate school was even easier.

Job hunting is not easy.

College was easy because on the first day of class professors hand you a slip of paper, or a packet, outlining their expectations for the next few months. Assignments are due on these dates. They are to be done in this format. If they are late, this is the penalty. If you have questions or just want to chat, you can find me here at these times. 

Ahh... bliss.

Graduate school was even easier because not only did you receive the same information it was in a subject you really cared about and really wanted to learn more about. 

In those stages of my life, I had hoops. I knew what was expected of me. I knew where to go for help.

In short, bliss.

To be fair, the work was not always easy, nor was it always fun, but I knew what I had to do.

Job hunting after nearly 16 years of leaving the normal routine of working a full-time, Monday to Friday job with benefits I am trying to ease back into the workforce. I know others have successfully made the leap. 

But ... how?

In the month since I started looking I have interviewed with three different companies for three completely different positions. That shows my my resume is in decent shape.

It also shows me my interview skills are possibly lacking. Or it shows I am not applying for the right types of positions.

One question I have been asked is "what kind of job do I want?" It is quite telling that I have no idea what kind of job I want. I feel I will know it when I see it. How can I fit that into an online job search? 

Things I enjoy:

Libraries and books
Using social media to spread the word
Wearing different hats, figuratively speaking
Talking to people
Diving into a solo project so deeply hours can pass
Writing
Taking pictures
Researching
Hearing people's stories
Databases
Organizing information

All of this would qualify as having fun at work. Which leads me to the question, are we allowed to have fun at work? I hope so. We are there for so many hours, life is too short to not have fun as much as possible.

I see another job I want to apply for. Wish me luck. Send me good vibes. Most of all, pray. 


No comments:

Post a Comment