Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Plays in the Park

Now celebrating their 50th anniversary, Plays in the Park has been creating high quality musicals each summer in Edison, NJ for only $7 a ticket ($5 for Senior Citizens, children under 12 are free).  The catch is, you have to bring your own chair, and it is outdoors so a lot depends on the weather.

Over the years we have seen some amazing productions. A couple of years ago we saw "Singing in the Rain" three times (once with my parents). I felt the star out-danced Gene Kelly. After all, Gene Kelly only had to perform a scene or two a day and had lots of opportunities for retakes, and these actors had to tap dance their hearts out each hot summer evening under the lights for two weeks (plus rehearsals).

A different year we saw "Thoroughly Modern Millie." I overheard someone in the audience say the costumes were straight from the recently closed Broadway show. Yes, it is that level of a production.

Last month we saw "My Fair Lady." I wish I had taken a picture of the set -- it was two stories high complete with a usable spiral staircase. They must have worked closely with a diction coach because the accents were each unique and consistent. The costumes at the horse race rivaled those seen in the movie with Rex Harrison. It was a top-notch production in every way -- and yes, still only $7.

Friday night's slight drizzle cancelled the production of "Damn Yankees." The conductor did not want to risk damaging the instruments or the rented music. Don and I will try to go later this week.

The season will close out with "Grease."

For as much as I bump into friends in Mercer County, that never happens to me in at Plays in the Park. I hope to see my theater loving friends there later this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment