Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

W & OD Trail


Don and Ashley brought their bikes with them to Virginia. I planned to go for a run while they biked, but settled for a walk as I was still sore from my run two days earlier.

The Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail is very well maintained. It is a 44-mile trail that runs through Virginia. It is amazing. There is a paved part that is perfect for bicycling. It is flat and straight. A winding trail made of crushed stone runs along side it and up some hills. That trail is perfect for mountain biking, walking, running and (of course, given the area) horse back riding.You know a lot of people ride horses when the signs give them the right of way. There seemed to be a rest area about once every mile, and placards talking about the local history fairly often.

For us the day was going along really well. I walked about a mile up, and a mile back. I was hanging out on this nice bench in the shade, next to a water fountain, when my cell phone rang. Uh oh! Ashley and Don rode about 6 miles when she fell off her bike and scraped her knee. Fortunately all she needed was a first aid kit. It was just enough, though, for them to ask me to pick them up further on the path. About the time the phone rang someone stopped and, using his new Smart phone, he was able to give me terrific directions to find Don and Ashley. Alls well that ends well, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment